Friday, November 24, 2006

Giving Thanks

I fell into being a nanny. I was looking for a "real" job and needed something to tide me over. So I begin working for a temp nanny agency. Providing sick child care, filling in for vacationing caregivers and finally taking an after school position with a single dad and his 15 year old daughter. After a few months of working as a part-time nanny, I realized that this nanny thing might be just what I was looking for - a job that allowed me the time and money to go back to school and finish my business degree. So I took a nanny job on the East coast, was surprised by how much I loved being a nanny and after a semester of business classes, remembered why I left school to begin with. So much for my plan.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2006. Much of what I'm grateful for this week comes from my work as a nanny. I do work that I love and that is important, I've developed wonderful relationships with kids that I would have never known otherwise (what a loss that would have been!!) and I've met many of my closest friends though a nanny network. Not bad for, what seemed at the time, to be a failed plan of action.

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And I hope that we all continue to take "wrong turns" that point us in the right direction!

Lora Brawley

No comments: