Friday, November 09, 2007

What do I LOOK FOR IN A FAMILY- a nanny's view

There are an awful lot of posts and articles out there for families about what to look for in a nanny. But the real truth of the matter is that there are far more families looking for nannies than the other way around. Nannies, when you go on an interview you should be interviewing the family while they are interviewing you! It is essential that you find a family that you “fit” with. A family that will be comfortable for you to work with and with whom you can communicate. When I am out on an interview there are some very specific things I watch for. Here are a few
§ Does the family make arrangements for the kids for the first interview? It is impossible to properly interview with kids in the room. You should have at least one interview where you can talk about employment issues like pay, vacation and such. Also, it is hard to discuss philosophy of childcare when kids are in the room. A family that knows this will understand that the relationship you have with your employers is as important as your relationship with the kids.
§ Does the family have another interview with time to interact with the kids? Chemistry is key. Never work for a family if you cannot connect with the kids. It won’t last.
§ Is the atmosphere of the home one that you are comfortable with? Are they impossibly neat? Are you? Are they undtidy? Will this drive you crazy? Look around for clues as to the way they keep their home. If you are a organizing demon and they have stacks of things everywhere this should be a red flag!
§ Can I talk to them? Many nannies- really most I think- are not that assertive when it comes to tough conversations. If I am nervous talking to them at an interview- I won’t be able to bring up that vacation time they owe me or the other rough things we have to talk about.
§ Are they looking for a nanny like me? Are they looking for someone to be there for a long time and I know I only want to work here for a year- not a good sign. Do they want someone who will check in with them often but I am used to being on my own for the day- again not a good fit.
§ Do they ask pertinent questions? Nothing like going to an interview and being asked questions from the interview guide book- what are your discipline philosophies? What was your parenting like as a child? Those questions are good- but serious families ask more in depth questions that follow up anwers that I have already given
§ Do they treat me as a professional? The only way to tell this is by the questions they ask and the tone of the interview. But if you are looking for it- you will know. Do they ask you childcare questions? Do they make sure you are paid legally? Do they offer the benefits you deseve?
Finding a family is a difficult process. But like I always tell mothers who ask for advice finding nannies- trust your gut. If you don’t feel a connection with the family move on. The relationship is a difficult one already!
-- Sue Downey

No comments: