Friday, February 19, 2010

Privacy and the Laptops- A Cautionary Tale

In school we read 1984 and learned about Big Brother. But local high school kids learned that Big Brother is always watching first hand. My local school district, Lower Merion in PA, has made international news as it was called out with a class action lawsuit for "spying" on students. 

Lower Merion received a grant so that all the students in the school could have a laptop computer. This would allow students to access the schools resources and work on projects, papers, etc. 24/7. The laptops belong to the school but the student has possession for the year. But one student was called to the vice principals office in Nov. to be reprimanded for questionable behavior that was caught in a still captured from his webcam. No students or parents were informed that the school has the power to remotely activate these webcams and monitor what they see. It was only when this student was called to the office for his behavior at home that people found out these cameras could be turned on remotely by the school. 

Now don't get me wrong, there are many issues with cyber privacy that we as parents, nannies, and individuals must wrestle with. I check the emails, downloads, text messages etc.. of my 13 year old charge. I want to know that she is safe. But I am entrusted by her parents to do this. And I tell her I am doing it. Of course a tech savvy kid could then erase things she didn't want me to see so I always wonder if it would be better not to tell. 

The school certainly has the right to make sure that the laptops are being used appropriately. But does that mean they have the right to turn these cameras on without student's knowledge or consent? And does the administration of a school have the right to punish or even address behavior of a student in their own home? No one is saying what the "questionable" behavior was that was caught on tape. It could be drug use. Would that make this ok? 

No. In my opinion, we have to draw the line somewhere with this issue of privacy vs. safety for our kids. But it is a fine line and we must define it carefully. What do you think? 

- Sue Downey

No comments: